Camping is more enjoyable than staying in a hotel during an outing but this fun and enjoyment can turn into disaster if you do not take proper safety measures while out on a camping trip. Therefore, it is essential that you must know the most important safety measures before you go out for camping.
1. Advance planning about the area where you will put up your camp will help you to gather all the information about the safety of the place. You should also check the weather condition before planning your camping trip so that you are able to avoid hazards of fire spread. Also verify about any type of health alerts about the place so that you do not suffer from the infections caused by bacteria or rodents.
2. Always, carry the first aid kit or the emergency kit well stocked with all kinds of medicines and medical aids along with the sun protection lotion or cream and do not forget to include a special kit for protection against snakebite.
The emergency kit should also contain other small but important items like the mirror, flashlight, Swiss knife, water packets that are sterilized, bug sprayer, and bug spray, scissors, razors, and any other small article that you feel is of use during an emergency.
3. Plan your trip in such a way that you arrive on the camping ground in the daytime so that you can inspect the ground properly and put up your tent at a safe place. This will also help you to locate all the hazardous articles on the ground like broken glasses, and branches, ant hives, beehives, any kind of poisonous plant, or ivy, and other dangers in the terrain.
4. If you are using a tent during your trip then take a tent made of fire resistant material. Always keep adequate distance between the tent and the spot where you will have the campfire. Choosing an elevated spot for putting up the camp will safeguard you against flooding if it is the rainy season. Precaution is always better than cure therefore to stop the bugs from entering the tent always close the tent after entering or while leaving it.
5. Gather all the knowledge about precautions that you have to take against wild animals so that they do not attack you while you are enjoying your camping trip. The basic fact that you should know about wild animals is that they have a strong smelling power. Therefore, if you want to keep them away from the camp do not let the odor of food linger in the camping area and keep the cooking area at a distance from the tents so that the smell of food does not enter your tent or sleeping bag. In addition, keep the garbage in containers, which are bear resistant, and you might also use these containers to keep the products that have strong odor.
6. Fire safety should be your first priority so you must take full safety measures while lighting the campfire or using the cooking stove or gas lamps. Before leaving for the trip you should ensure that, the area where you are going has no fire restriction alerts.
7. Discussion of all the safety issues with the family members especially the children will help you to safeguard them against all kinds of hazards and as a safety measure; you must provide each member with a whistle, which they can use in an emergency.